Search this Blog
- We're going to talk radical kid raising. We're going to dispel some myths and rumours about what children need and think and do. We're going to celebrate, honour, and respect children for nothing other than being who they are. We're going to delight in the opportunity children provide us for personal growth, perspective, and exploration. We're going to encourage and support you in being the best parent you can imagine. And maybe get distracted by the beauty of the journey along the way...
COMPASS e-zine sign-up
The Ocean"confused guy" #enjoyparenting achievement alfie kohn asl attachment parenting birthdays boredom in children building an emotionally safe household building connection with children childhood development children choice connection parenting controlling children's behavior creative projects involving children cro-magnon education™ cro-magnon parenting cro-magnon parenting™ disruptions to natural parenting elimination communication emotional intelligence empathy parenting exploration faeries family family fun family rituals family time grandparents gratitude kid world kim john payne law of attraction law of attraction parenting life manipulation modeling Natalie Christensen natural drives natural parenting non-ownership now parent-centered parenting parent-child bonding parent-child relations parenting parenting mythology parents who control too much play praise and punishment pretend radical parenting strategies santa cruz self-empathizing sibling relations simple pleasures social empathy summer summer vacation teaching teaching empathy teaching kids about social living travel trust unschool unschooling using empathy vacation village life winter winter celebrations winter holidays YES! yule
- The Myth of the Self-Soothing Infant
- Meet Your Emotional Brain -- or -- Whose "Tantrum" is This, Anyway?
- Intro to Educating a Human Brain
- Making Friends... with Oxytocin!
- Rehab for Praise-aholics
- Co-Operation Beats Compliance Every Time
- "Sharing is (S)caring" or the Art of Performance Parenting
- Corpse Bride to help Cookie Monster find Cookies
Tag Archives: pretend
Kim John Payne, author of Simplicity Parenting, says boredom is the precursor to creativity. In an interview with founder and CEO of The Mother Company, Abbie Shiller, Mr. Payne suggests: Allow your children to be bored. I like to call it the … Continue reading
Our girls are wizards of the pretend world. They can take any miniscule piece of factual information, or scrap of a semi-functional prop, and turn it into the grandest story line of all time. Often the premise is quite simple … Continue reading
Our girls share a very active fantasy life. There are dragons and faeries, princesses and princes, mermaids and mystics, and magic in the ether around them, folding into their daily lives and influencing them as they move from one … Continue reading
‘Member when Coco, who was “The Champ”, got dethroned by the Red Giant? Here she is folks, at just 9 months, Echo Manidra, “the Champ”, at the top of her game. In 2007, this feather weight dynamo was undefeated in … Continue reading
We went camping yesterday. It was a quickish trip — overnight, just about 40 minutes from our door — to Big Pine Campground, home of Montana’s largest known Ponderosa Pine (aptly named “Big Pine”). In addition to the large and … Continue reading
Here she is, folks, the (dreaded) COnfused Queen, with her ™ lovely white dress — the full-length formal one with the four pink roses on the bodice, and the wide, layered collar. Her pretty, smiling face belies her unkind intentions. The … Continue reading